Monday, February 25, 2013

Electronically sleeping better?

There are nights, and then there are naps when it comes to sleeping. I remind myself, and even explained the saying, "a peaceful man sleeps well at night" to my son yesterday. So, how does one achieve this inner peace allowing them to sleep as if they were an infant? I know sleeping as an infant is a dream, and enjoy my current age. However, the goal of peace for one's own world can be difficult. We all go through our lives daily doing this and accomplishing that, but for whom? Is the little world I live in big enough for my inner peace, and mine alone? I think not! Peace for me is know my family is doing not only okay, but great! When the children and tucked in, books are read, the sink is empty of dishes, and the linger of love warms the air, well, there is one description of peace. 

What is your receipt for peace?

During the college years I became concerned about stress and distress. One method which allows me to better back my daily receipt for a peaceful night of rest [sleep] is helping others, and once in a while helping myself. Husband have a very opportunistic advantage in this "self" category. Each morning there is a good twenty to thirty minutes of quiet time, just me, in the car driving to work. Lunch breaks, yet again, another thirty to sixty minutes of me time. For our wives however, when is it their time? To my wife, I again offer whenever the day is hectic, and linger of love does not appear to be warming the air enough, please let me know, and I'll skip the "me" lunch break, arrive home earlier, and then you can relax taking a rest from the stress/distress of the mom world.

So, each weekday those hours of me time allow a man, me,  with normal responsibilities to process the tasks, get over the worries out my control or influence, and prepare. Moreover  while I work I discovered the need for quasi "union" breaks. Over seven years ago now I had some temporary jobs in factories. Both of them had scheduled fifteen minute breaks. One in the morning, and one in the afternoon. I was amazed how all of sudden everyone dropped everything and marched to the lunchroom or outside to smoke something. Jumping to current day, my current salary career does not offer nor does it need union anyting. Although, the corporate world allows for a tab bit more flexibility. Ergo, twice daily, when work load permits, I take two five-minute breaks. During each five-minute session I walk the stairwells thinking about work tasks, preparing for the next training webinar, and contemplate how to improve. And yes, I normally use the +Fitbit One record mode as a timer. I recommend any sort of break your lifestyle allows. I dont' believe in meditation, but I do believe in God, the importance of family, hard work, and service. Oh yeah, and active lifestyle of moving forward 10,000 steps adds a bit of fun as well. Exercise, and finishing things while helping others, yep, this helps me sleep well!

Good luck out there today everyone, and may you finish the tasked presented on your work plate, and ask for second helpings when you arrive home. Sleep well, or as the Italians say, dream of gold - sogni d'oro...

Sincerely,
Peter


Fitbit profile




You're just steps away from better fitness. Try Fitbit now.

No comments:

Post a Comment